A Study on Collection and Service of Medical University Libraries in Uttar Pradesh: Prospects, Problems and Suggestions for Modernizing Them
Libraries are the soul of any research or academic institution. They are the most vital forum for education, especially in technical education. Due to the rapid pace of development taking place in various fields of science and technology (S and T), it becomes imperative for libraries to stay abreast of the latest technological advances, so that dissemination of information becomes efficient, fast, feasible, economical, accessible and useful.
The usefulness of a library largely depends on its collection. Therefore, it is very important that the utmost care is taken to select and maintain a good and strong collection of documents such as books, journals, manuals, reference books, dictionaries, directories, lexicon and various other related information. Building and developing a library collection capable of meeting the needs of users, such as scientists, students, researchers and others, is an important task for a good library. The quality of the services provided and the satisfaction of the users depend greatly on the types of collections made available. A comprehensive, balanced and up-to-date collection is to have documents of different types in different physical forms to meet the user’s information needs.
The basic goal of the library is to provide effective services to its users. Therefore, user satisfaction should be the main goal of a good librarian. This goal cannot be achieved unless and before the library management has a clear idea of the user’s needs and requirements. The library must be well equipped in addition to having a good and strong collection of documents. Various services should be offered to meet the needs of users. Latest and up-to-date technology should be used to provide better services.
In the modern era of information explosion, which has led to the development of multidisciplinary domains in the various fields of S and T, user demand and expectations have grown tremendously. To meet this challenge, the library should be well equipped with the modern tools for information storage and retrieval so that the right information is made available to the right user at the right place and at the right time.
With the advent of computers and the Internet, there is a transformation in the information infrastructure leading to the development of digital or electronic libraries. The latest advances in information technology, telecommunications, software, networking, multimedia and scanning technology have brought about a revolutionary change in library and information technology. Network technologies have resulted in the creation of virtual or online libraries, which are hugely popular with users and prove to be a boon to society as a whole due to instant access to information anytime, anywhere in the world. Thus, the barriers of time and space have been shattered, and the big world has been reduced to a “global village” where anyone can have instant access to the information he / she chooses using the techniques of computer software, networking and scanning technologies.
A digital library can be defined as an electronic version of a traditional library where all information is stored and stored in digital form. In a digital library, the available data includes non-text information such as photographs, drawings, illustrations, works of art; streams of numerical data (satellite information, cosmological data); digitized audio and moving visual images and 3D representations (holograms) in addition to traditional text-based information.
There are many allopathic medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh where digitization and networking of libraries can greatly boost not only improving the quality and standard of services available in hospitals, but also greatly assisting in promoting medical studies and research. . But the implementation of this process of digitization and networking of libraries depends greatly on the role and attitude of librarians in this comprehensive process for its success.
Review of literature
Many sources of information, both published and unpublished, have been consulted to develop a clear concept for the proposed study. It has been observed that the digitization and networking process in library and information science has greatly helped to efficiently and instantaneously disseminate right information at the right cost at the right time to the right user.
The objectives of the proposed study are as follows: –
1) To assess the role and attitude of librarians in the success of the digitization and networking process in the libraries of Allopathic Medical Colleges in U.P.
2) To study the size and nature of the collection in the libraries of the Allopathic Medical Colleges of the U.P.
3) To investigate the level of digitization in the libraries of allopathic medical colleges in U.P.
4) To study the methods used for digitization and networking in the libraries of Allopathic Medical Colleges in U.P.
5) To study the existing library services and facilities offered by the libraries of Allopathic Medical Colleges in U.P.
6) To study the digitization and networking process in the libraries of allopathic medical colleges in U.P.
7) To study the effectiveness and efficiency of the digitization and networking process in the libraries of Allopathic Medical Colleges in U.P.
8) To assess the demand and popularity of the digitization and networking process in the libraries of Allopathic Medical Colleges in U.P.
9) To study the problems and challenges that librarians face in the process of digitization and networking in the libraries of Allopathic Medical Colleges in U.P.
10) To make suggestions for improvement in the process of digitization and networking in the libraries of Allopathic Medical Colleges in U.P.
11) Discovering the limitations of the process of digitization and networking in the libraries of Allopathic Medical Colleges in U.P.
Field of application
This study will be based on the study of the libraries of Allopathic Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh. To this end, the libraries of only the allopathic medical colleges are included, which are approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI) to complete the MBBS degree course and have the right to award the MBBS degree and other degrees related to allopathic medicine and surgery. The names of such allopathic medical colleges selected for the proposed study are given below:
- S.N. Medical College, Agra.
- G.S.V.M. Medical College, Kanpur.
- Department of Medical Sciences, B.H.U, Varanasi.
- Moti Lal Nehru Medical College, Allahabad.
- Jawahar Lal Nehru Medical College, Aligarh.
- L.L.R.M. Medical College, Meerut.
- Maharani Laxmi Bai Medical College, Jhansi.
- B.R.D. Medical College, Gorakhpur.
- Santosh Medical College, Ghaziabad.
- Sardar Patel Institute of Dental and Medical Sciences, Lucknow.
- It was Lucknow Medical College, Lucknow.
- Subharati Medical College, Meerut
A hypothesis can be considered as a tentative generalization of the problem investigated. It is intended to give the researcher an opportunity (prior to actual data collection) to predict the results of the study. A hypothesis is an expectation of events or a wise guess or a prediction of the results of the study.
Therefore, since hypotheses are predictions, these are formulated prior to data collection. No hypothesis should be formulated once the data is known.
The following hypotheses are formulated for the proposed study: –
1) The libraries of the allopathic medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh have a rich collection of documents.
2) Allopathic Medical Colleges’ Libraries provide a variety of services to their users.
3) The libraries of the allopathic medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh are facing certain problems.
4) There is an urgent need for modernization of the libraries of allopathic medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh according to the latest techniques such as digitization and networking of libraries.
It is planned to use the following method to complete the proposed study:
1) Literature search: – This is done by consulting the vast literature that exists on digitalization and networking. To this end, various books by noted authors as well as journals and seminar papers are thoroughly studied.
2) Questionnaire: – To conduct the proposed study, the questionnaire is the most important tool for data collection. Therefore, a comprehensive questionnaire must be designed that brings together all the important and relevant data. This questionnaire is sent to librarians at the relevant libraries. After obtaining the completed questionnaire, the data must be analyzed and interpreted in accordance with the objectives of the proposed study.
3) Library examination: – It is planned to conduct a library survey for a systematic collection of data on libraries, their activities, operations, staff, uses and users at a given time or over a given period.
4) Interview with librarians: – In order to gather the exact data and obtain the views and opinions of the librarians in the affected libraries, it is also proposed to conduct personal conversations with the concerned librarians.
STUDY OF THE STUDY
The following may be the utilities in the proposed study:
1) It can be helpful to find out the problems and difficulties faced by librarians at the libraries of Allopathic Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh.
2) It can be helpful for the concerned authorities in the effective implementation of the digitization and networking process.
3) It may be helpful to find out the options for adopting the digitization and networking process for the libraries of Allopathic Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh.
4) It can help to find the solution to some of these problems which slow down the development of the digitization and networking process in the libraries.
5) It can be useful for the libraries of allopathic medical colleges by sharing resources and connecting with each other through networks.
CHAPTER WISE BREAKUP
The proposed study will be divided into seven chapters, which are as follows:
Chapter – An Introduction
Chapter – Two Medical Council of India (MCI) and the Allopathic Medical Colleges of U.P .: An Overview.
Chapter -Three Allopathic Medical Colleges’ Libraries in U.P .: Current Status and Functions
Chapter – Four Digitization and Networking Processes in Libraries and Information Centers: A Brief Background.
Chapter Five Current Status of Digitization and Networking Process in the Libraries of Allopathic Medical Colleges in U.P.
Chapter Six Comparative Study of the Status of the Digitization and Networking Process in the Libraries of Allopathic Medical Colleges in U.P.
Chapter – seven conclusions and suggestions.