The most important element of payroll administration in the UK is to accurately calculate income tax and national insurance contributions deducted from the employee each pay period, prepare payrolls for each employee and account for the tax deduction office.
Running a payroll system is natural for midsize and large companies who can hire specialized payroll staff to perform these functions. Many mid-sized companies can still choose to outsource the payroll function, leaving many of the technical issues that may arise with a specialized payroll service.
Small businesses may choose to outsource the payroll function because they are unfamiliar with the payment system, even though HMRC runs seminars to help employers. The payroll system not only calculates tax deductions and national insurance deductions, but also deals with tax code changes, new employees and changes to existing employees plus taxable benefits and allowances such as statutory payments for sickness and maternity leave, based on the state pension scheme and student loans.
The main advantage of manually producing employee pay is the reduced costs, although the time spent by the holder on the payroll function can be better spent on running the business. Costs may not be the cheapest option if an employee is to produce the payroll. Buying payroll software can save you considerable time and cost for the small business that chooses to prepare and control its own payroll function. Although time is more important as production costs for payroll policy are usually not a major issue.
Payroll outsourcing adds a little extra cost to running the business, but will usually bring valuable benefits by reducing the time spent on the feature and reducing the payment manager’s burden.
The main benefits of outsourcing the payroll function.
1. Free up time for calculating payroll deduction and handling different and sometimes complex employee relationships.
2. Using a professional outsourcing service to advise on potential salary problems and difficulties.
3. The cost of outsourcing payroll should be compared to the cost of hiring a specialist in payroll staff.
4. Payroll services use payroll software and are more likely to produce accurate tax and national insurance deductions and payroll records that reduce the prospect of problems with the tax authorities.
5. Payroll administration such as preparation of tax deduction plans, handling of starters and leavers, annual end-of-year certificates for employees and the employer’s annual return are usually automated as part of the payroll service
6. The outsourced service company must also be responsible for producing payroll slips for employees, advising tax and deduction responsibilities and, in large companies, also provide a payroll analysis for accounting purposes.
Alternatives to outsourcing payroll functions.
Finding a suitable outsourced payroll service is not difficult. Local directories or searching the Internet would produce many potential payroll service providers.
Many accounting firms offer payroll services to their customers, and while prices may struggle to be a competitive price, they are always negotiable. Using the business manager for payroll has benefits as a significant cost area for most companies is already known to the accountant as they prepare the numbers.
Choice of payroll software.
The best alternative to outsourcing payroll is for the company to acquire and use payroll software.
Larger companies require payroll software that has incorporated all of the potential payroll scenarios and is also capable of handling a large number of employees. Large comprehensive packages can be complex to operate and require specialized payroll staff.
Small businesses can choose simpler, less complex payroll software packages that meet the basic needs of the business. It is important that the person running payroll wages within the payroll function understands the essential wages and legal requirements for managing wages.
The benefits of choosing payroll software are basically that the cost should save the company money from outsourcing payroll, maintain control over the function and obligations, and ideally it should take no more time to provide employee information and gross pay to the payroll service.
If the company chooses to adopt a payroll program, the complexity of the package must be considered, and also the attributes and capabilities of the chosen software to produce all payroll requirements in relation to payroll and payroll deductions, payroll administration and payroll for employees.