Example counseling statement, IRR transfer

This is an example DA 4856 (Developmental Counseling Form) for a soldier transitioning to the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) with at least three years of active duty, or at least two years of active duty + three years of Troop Program Unit (TPU) time. These soldiers are transferred to the IRR control group for reinforcement.

Soldiers in this control group do not need annual training. As the policy changes, some of the items below may change as this article ages.

Note: if you do not have the minimum three years of active service, or two years of active service + 3 years of TPU, you would request transfer to the IRR, Control Group Training. You would have an AT requirement in the IRR every year.

The soldier in this scenario fulfilled his or her six-year contractual obligation in the TPU. He or she wants to complete the balance of his or her initial eight-year military commitment in the IRR.

Applicable sections of the Army Developmental Counseling Form for a Soldier transfer to the IRR, Control Group Reinforcement:

DA 4856: Purpose of counseling:

Event Oriented Counseling: You will be guided in your decision to submit an individual Ready Reserve (IRR) transfer request.

You have declared that you intend to complete the rest of your contractual obligation in the IRR.

Your contractual obligation ends [DFAS date format]. Your legal obligation ends [Actual ETS date, DFAS date format]. Despite your transfer from the TPU to the IRR, you are still a member of the Ready Reserve. You are not “out” or “fired” from the military. While your transfer to the IRR will allow you to maintain many reserve benefits, some key benefits of joining the TPU will end. As the [title of counselor], it is my responsibility to make sure you understand the options available to you.

DA 4856: main discussion points:

– As a member of the TPU, you are eligible for the following benefits: Common Access Card (CAC), military payment for IDT and AT / ADT; SGLI; Tuition fees; TSP; Montgomery GI Bill (Ch 1606); appropriate TRICARE coverage, reserve military retirement when you complete 20 qualifying years, etc. If you choose to continue to the IRR, some of these benefits will disappear. However; You are eligible for the rest of your military benefits while in the IRR. You still need to earn 50 points every year for retirement in the IRR for that year to be eligible for retirement. You must also hand in your CAC on IRR transfer.

– As a member of the IRR, you are eligible for the following benefits: DD Form 2, Reserve ID Card (Green). Military wages for AT / ADT / mobilization; reserve military pension if you complete 20 qualifying years; PX / Commissary privileges; proper TRICARE dental coverage, a green military ID card (IRR) and other benefits. However; To maintain these benefits, you must continue to participate in the IRR in a satisfactory manner by responding to HRC’s correspondence, attending annual (paid) meetings, and doing another point for which you are authorized.

– HRC sends you the necessary orders every year. Your annual sampling takes place 1 day a year and varies from 2 to 8 hours. If you receive a VA disability benefit, you will receive both a sample and disability benefit. Make sure HRC has your most recent / accurate contact information. At least you have that [3 years active duty ___ (or) 2 years active duty +3 years TPU__], you will be transferred to the IRR control group, Reinforcement. You have no AT requirement during IRR; however, you can request such training.

– You can earn your points with days on mobilization / active duty, AT / ADT, funeral service, IDT / exercise (points only) and participation points (PP). The maximum number of inactive points (IDT + PP) you can get in a retirement year is 130 points. You receive an active point in active service every day. The maximum active points you can get in the year is the number of days that year has. You can also drill to points only, not pay while you are in the IRR.

– As a member of the IRR you are entitled to a military ID card (IRR / green). You can still access the DEFAC, PX, Commissary, MWR facilities, physical fitness facilities, etc. from a military installation. Your SGLI will proceed according to instructions on your IRR orders. If you are a veteran (previous active service / implementation) you may be eligible for VGLI. If TRICARE was your only medical insurance policy, you may need to make arrangements with a commercial health insurance provider.

– HRC keeps track of your administration. They will work with you to plan your AT or get you on mobilization assignments. Here is the military’s website, MOBCOP, which you could use to volunteer for mobilization while in the IRR: [Volunteer for mobilization website address.]

– If you do not earn more than 50 points in a pension year, those years do not count towards the minimum of 20 years to be eligible to retire. Notify HRC of your intention to receive ETS orders within 3 months of your ETS, or earlier.

– The device cannot give any guarantees regarding approval or rejection of your IRR request.

– You have the feeling that you cannot continue with the TPU [Reason explained below].

DA 4856: Action plan:

– Consider the above benefits to stay in the TPU and consider the possibility of signing up for a new TPU contract.

– The unit initiates and processes an IRR transfer request. Maintain communication with the device and assist with the IRR package process. Provide additional documentation if requested. Be available to sign revised documents.

– Until you receive your IRR orders, keep the device informed if you experience a change in address, phone number, email, etc.

– You are responsible for drilling with the unit until the transfer date on your IRR orders.

– If you need to submit RST before your transfer date, submit an RST application form and supporting documentation through your chain of command.

– Out-process with the Supply SGT, Motor SGT, Operations NCO, UA, UAT, 1SG, CDR, DARN and other applicable unit sections.

– Download a copy of the IRR Handbook from the Internet or ask a soldier who has already downloaded it.

– Familiarize yourself with the aforementioned mobilization websites.

– When transferring to the IRR, enter your CAC card at the nearest military ID card office and obtain DD Form 2, Reserve ID card (green).

– Understand that while in the IRR you are not “out” of the military. You are still in the reserve, depending on the annual collection and subject to mobilization.

– Stay physically fit to maintain your deplorable status.

– Aim for a minimum of 50 retirement points for each retirement year in the IRR.

– Answer HRC corresponds to that you need an answer. Store HRC information in a specific folder for future reference.

– Read and fully understand your HRC collection orders and report for collection orders as indicated in these orders. Bring requested documentation.

– Provide your reservation ID card in case of re-registration with the TPU or Active Duty; receive a CAC instead.

– You can drill with this or any other unit if you need points, but not for payment, while in IRR status. The Career Advisor has details on how to achieve this.

– At the end of your MSO, without re-enrollment, enter your DD form 2, ID card reservation (green).

– Understand that the day after your MSO ends, you can automatically enter the United States militia and the state / territory in which you reside. Federal law identifies men with physical disabilities from 17 to 45 years of age, state law identifies comparable or different age categories. Some states include women in that category. This means that after your MSO ETS, if you are in this group, you will be subject to militia requirements under the orders of the President or your Governor.

– Effective transfer to the IRR, the IRR unit patch becomes your unit patch. You also use the IRR regimental badge instead of [current unit badge] on your ASUs.

– In IRR keep communication with HRC and update it with your last address, phone, email, job, medical status, etc., Changes.

DA 4856: Close session:

– I understand the options and current SRIP incentives available to me to proceed with the TPU. I lose TPU-specific benefits while retaining IRR-specific benefits once I’m officially in the IRR. While in the IRR, I am eligible to earn at least 50 retirement points for that year to count towards retirement. I can get those points through mobilization, HRC issued AT orders, etc. I may be subject to an APFT at the beginning of an HRC issued AT order. I will keep HRC informed of address, phone number and email changes while in the IRR. I will hand in my CAC and obtain a DD Form 2 (Reserve) green ID card upon transfer to the IRR. At the end of my MSO, I submit this green ID card to the nearest ID card office. I will continue to maintain communications with the unit until the date on my IRR transfer orders. After my transfer to the IRR I will maintain communication with HRC. I will familiarize myself with the main discussion points and carry out the actions.

– Despite what has been discussed above, I would like to request a transfer to the IRR. I understand that there is no warranty regarding the approval or disapproval of this package.


AR 140-10 Army reserve allocations, attachments, details and transfers

AR 140-185 Training and retirement point credits and unit strength accounting data

Source by Travis Hill