How do you get dual citizenship in the Philippines?

For those planning to find a job or start a business after retiring in the Philippines, dual citizenship is a must. While there are several residence options for a non (Filipino) citizen to retire in the Philippines, there are plenty of benefits for such a retiree to acquire dual citizenship in the Philippines, including the right to fully property Own a business or practice a profession, vote in elections and obtain a Philippine passport again. In 2003, the Philippine government passed a law enabling former citizens to regain Philippine citizenship. It is known as the double citizenship law.


o Apply for the “Petition For Dual Citizenship And Issuance Of Identification Certificate (IC)” application form from the nearest Philippines consulate (in person or available for download from their website).

a) Philippine birth certificate;

b) Old Philippine passport;

c) Marriage contract stating the applicant’s Philippine citizenship;

(d) the voter’s declaration or the voter’s identity card; or

e) Such other documents that would demonstrate that the applicant is a former natural person

born citizen of the Philippines, which may be acceptable to the assessor.

o Present the original copy and send a photocopy of your Naturalization Certificate.

o For each of your minor unmarried children under the age of eighteen (18), provide the original copy and a photocopy of the following:

a) the child’s birth certificate; and

b) Foreign passport of the child

o Attach two (2) recent and identical 2 “x 2” photos with the front view to the application form. The beneficiary children are not required to submit photos.

o If the application is found to be in order, pay a processing fee of US $ 50.00 for the main application and $ 25.00 for each child beneficiary. Payment can be in cash, by bank check, or by money order, payable to the Philippine Consulate General.

o After payment, you must sign the fidelity and identification certificate (IC) issued by the consulate and receive a date and time for taking the oath of fidelity for a consular officer. Also stick fingerprints in the spaces in the IC.

o After taking the oath, you will receive the original copy of your notarial oath of allegiance, approval order and (IC) issued by the consulate.

o All approved / completed applications and supporting documents, including loyalty oath, order of approval, ACR and ICR / CRTV, if any, will be forwarded to the BI in Manila.

o At this time you can then apply for a new Philippine passport.

Source by Will Irwin