Outlook Express is a different application from the Microsoft Office Outlook email client that comes with Microsoft Office for Windows. Outlook Express is bundled with Internet Explorer and uses * .dbx files for storing emails.
Outlook Express saves its email messages in different formats depending on the version.
- Outlook Express v 4, which came with Windows 98, saved messages in * .mbx files.
- Outlook Express v 5, which shipped with Windows 98SE, switched to * .dbx files, with a separate file for each mailbox folder.
- Outlook Express v 5.50 shipped with Windows 2000
- Outlook Express v 5.5 shipped with Windows Me
- Outlook Express v 6, which is included with Windows XP, also saves messages in * .dbx files.
However, these archive files can get corrupted and cause serious data loss, nowadays when emails have become the most prominent form of communication as email data is not present, it can lead to serious financial, loss of time for a person or a company.
Various causes for DBX file corruption
- Files corrupted using the option “Compact file or Compress all folders”.
- Most Common Cause: Antivirus tries to scan incoming and outgoing emails, sometimes causes data corruption in * .dbx files.
- A large number of Outlook Express emails in Inbox or Sent Folders sometimes causes data corruption in the respective .dbx files.
- Accidental deletion of email or permanent deletion of emails from deleted items folders in Outlook Express.
Disk Doctor’s email recovery software (DBX) was launched by Disk Doctors Labs, Inc. to recover accidentally deleted Outlook Express email messages from any dbx or mbx archive.
This software also recovers emails from dbt files,
dbt files are the temporary file created for dbx files. If Microsoft Outlook Express crashes for any reason and you cannot find a required dbx file or cannot recover an important email from dbx file, dbt files contain the relevant information which can be repaired to recover lost Outlook Express emails with Disk Doctors email recovery (DBX) software