Faulty hardware is one of the most common causes of Exchange Server database corruption. If your application event log regularly records events that indicate database damage issues, your hardware is likely to be replaced. However, such situations require Exchange Server Recovery tools to fix the problem.
Let’s clarify the related issues by taking an appropriate example of event ID tracking.
-Event type: error
Event source: ESE
-Event Category: Database Page Cache
-Event ID: 476
-Computer: computer name
Affected_Component The database page read from file “file_name” with offset offset for number of bytes bytes failed because it contains no page data. The read operation failed with error error_number. If this condition persists, restore the database from a previous backup. This problem is probably due to faulty hardware. Contact your hardware vendor for further assistance in diagnosing the problem.
Event 476 is associated with a -1019 error in the event log.
Reading the database failed. Specifically, this indicates that the specified database page mentioned in the database file, for example pub1.edb, is empty and has no data when expected to be in use.
Error -1019 corresponds to “JET_errPageNotInitialized” or an empty database page. This can occur due to invalid links between database pages, file system inconsistencies, or pages mapped but not linked to the database file. While common hardware diagnostics may not detect the issues, most of these issues occur due to device drivers, firmware, and hardware-related issues.
Download the new hardware and use one of the following methods:
1. Use the Move Mailbox tool by installing another server and moving all mailboxes
2. Run the Exmerge utility to obtain all mailboxes as * .pst files
3. Restore the database from a backup
4. Restore the database with the commands Eseutil / p and Isinteg -fix
5. Use a third party Exchange Recovery tool Note: A third party Exchange Server Recovery application is more secure than Exchange hard repair utility – Eseutil / p. The latter utility can delete the database pages and cause serious data loss.