Transfer from the Army Reserve to the Retired Reserve

Figure B-41, Request for Allocation of Reserve Components or Attachment (Request for Allocation to Retired Reserve), in USAR PAM 600-5, provides you with a checklist of what is required in your retirement request package.

This checklist begins with a header asking for your name, rank, military email address, your unit, UIC unit, POC unit contact information, and other basic administrative information. A checklist follows the administrative data.

This checklist is the first part of the package. The following forms in the package follow:

DA Form 4561:

This is the request for allocation or attachment of spare parts. Both your commander and you must sign this.

It requires basic administrative information such as your name and address, social security number, telephone numbers, etc. If you voluntarily request retirement, you can select ‘Voluntary allocation’ in the form.

In another part of the form, you request transfer to the retired reserve. Depending on the unit you work with, you may need to enter your personal information. Your unit would eventually complete the rest. For other units you can fill in the whole form.

Some units do everything for you; Check with your unit administrators which one applies.

DA Form 4856:

The following two forms are guidance statements. One comes from your commander; the other is from your acting career adviser.

When you leave the prepared reserves (TPU / SELRES / IMA / IRR), you lose some benefits. For example, as a member of the TPU you are eligible for Tricare Reserve Select.

When you transfer to Retired Reserves, you are eligible for Tricare Retired Reserve. The premiums for this program are very expensive compared to the premiums for Tricare Reserve Select. Your commander can inform you about this.

As a member of the TPU / SELRES you are eligible for SGLI. If you quit this program, you will no longer be eligible for SGLI. You can register for VGLI if you have served with an active service or implementation contract.

The commander can inform you about what can happen to your package. He / she can also get an idea of ​​why you are retiring, hoping to get information that may be useful to those who remain in the unit.

The service career advisor can inform you about your chances of coming back in the TPU / SELRES, IMA or IRR. He / she can also inform you about recalls from active service options.

What you get information about depends on your device.

Chain of Command recommendations:

Your pension is not a guaranteed affair. If you have time for your contract, and if you are critical of your unit and ability to accomplish its mission, your retirement request may be declined. The support of your chain of command for your pension is also necessary.

Army reserve points conquest or letter of twenty years:

You will need one or both of your packages to document that you are eligible to retire by age 60.

Application for recognition of retirement:

Service members who retire are eligible for recognition. Examples include a certificate from the President, a medal, a retired soldier lapel, an American flag, etc. The unit can add some additional recognition items.

Orders uploaded to your electronic data:

This is an action that will take place after your package has been approved. If you are in the TPU / SELRES you will need to continue drilling until you have received this order. If you are in the IMA or IRR, you must meet your obligations until you receive your retirement order.

As of the date this order lists you as a retired reserve, you will no longer be required to fulfill your TPU / IMA / IRR obligations. You must return unit items that have been logged out from you.


USE PAM 600-5

Source by Travis Hill